Download Combat Hunger resources to help promote the event to colleagues and students throughout your school and organization.
Star 102.5's annual Combat Hunger Food Drive is November 20 and 21!
This marks the 24th year for Star 102.5's Combat Hunger to benefit the Food Bank of Iowa. This community-wide food and fund drive is held the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving to provide Iowans in need with food during the harsh winter and to increase awareness of Iowa's critical hunger problem.
Businesses and schools sign up to host a food and fund drive during the month of November, for a month, a week or a couple days. Any school that registers and completes a food or fund drive is entered to win a $1,000 technology grant from Combat Hunger sponsor, Century Link. Three winners will be drawn. On November 20 & 21, food and fund drives can be dropped of downtown or Combat Hunger coordinators will pick up the drive at your business or school. Many food and fund drives embrace a friendly competition including jean Fridays, themed days ("Meat the Need" or "Tuna Tuesday"), raffles, contests, popcorn sales and more. Check out our food drive manual for more ideas!
You do not have to be a business or school to participate. There are many ways to help.
How to help
Hunger in Iowa
- 1 in 8 Iowans is food insecure, meaning they do not have enough to eat to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle
- 1 in 5 Iowa children does not have enough to eat
- 389,730 Iowans are food insecure
- For every $1, the Food Bank can provide 4.5 meals
- In the Food Bank's service area:
- 64% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care
- 65% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying for utilities
- 48% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying rent/mortgage
Questions? Please contact Nathan Crozier, food sourcing specialist, at 515-564-0330.