Star 102.5's 25th Annual Combat Hunger Food Drive is November 19th and 20th!
This marks the 25th
year for Star 102.5's Combat Hunger to benefit the Food Bank of Iowa. This
community-wide food and fund drive is held the Thursday and Friday before
Thanksgiving to provide hungry Iowans with food during the harsh winter months
and increase awareness of Iowa's critical hunger problem.
Businesses and schools
sign up to hold a food and fund drive during the month of November. These
drives can last all month, for a week or just a couple of days. On November
19th and 20th, food and fund drive donations can be dropped off downtown
at the 12th and Locust live broadcast location or the Combat Hunger
coordinators will arrange to pick up the donation at your business or school. Many
food and fund drives embrace a friendly competition including jean Fridays,
themed days ("Meat the Need" or "Tuna Tuesday"), raffles,
contests, popcorn sales and more.
You do not have to be
a business or school to participate. There are many ways to help.
How to help
Hunger in Iowa
- 1 in 8 Iowans is food insecure, meaning they do not
have enough to eat to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle
- 1 in 5 Iowa children does not have enough to eat
- 389,730 Iowans are food insecure
- For every $1, the Food Bank can provide 4 meals
- In the Food Bank's service area:
- 64% of clients are choosing between paying for food
and paying for medicine or medical care
- 65% of clients are choosing between paying for food
and paying for utilities
- 48% of clients are choosing between paying for food
and paying rent/mortgage
contact Nathan Crozier,
food sourcing specialist, at 515-564-0330.