Star 102.5's 25th Annual Combat Hunger Food Drive is November 19th and 20th!
This marks the 25th year for Star 102.5's Combat Hunger to benefit the Food Bank of Iowa. This community-wide food and fund drive is held the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving to provide hungry Iowans with food during the harsh winter months and increase awareness of Iowa's critical hunger problem.
Businesses and schools sign up to hold a food and fund drive during the month of November. These drives can last all month, for a week or just a couple of days. On November 19th and 20th, food and fund drive donations can be dropped off downtown at the 12th and Locust live broadcast location or the Combat Hunger coordinators will arrange to pick up the donation at your business or school. Many food and fund drives embrace a friendly competition including jean Fridays, themed days ("Meat the Need" or "Tuna Tuesday"), raffles, contests, popcorn sales and more.
You do not have to be a business or school to participate. There are many ways to help.
How to help
- Sign up your business or school to participate
- Drop off donations downtown on the corner of 12th and Locust Street in Des Moines on November 19th and 20th
- Sign up to volunteer. We need help on the day of event at the encampment and with food sorting after the event.
Hunger in Iowa
- 1 in 8 Iowans is food insecure, meaning they do not have enough to eat to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle
- 1 in 5 Iowa children does not have enough to eat
- 389,730 Iowans are food insecure
- For every $1, the Food Bank can provide 4 meals
- In the Food Bank's service area:
- 64% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care
- 65% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying for utilities
- 48% of clients are choosing between paying for food and paying rent/mortgage
Questions? Please contact Danny Akright, communications manager, at 515-564-0330.