Host a Food Drive
Food drives of all sizes make a difference. Every pound of food we distribute goes to Iowa children, families, seniors and veterans struggling with hunger. Learn more about how to plan a successful food drive and sign up to host one today!
Planning Your Food Drive
Your food drive can be traditional or virtual. Here’s how to get started:
- Set a specific time span, ranging from one week to one month.
- Create a space for boxes or bins of food to be collected. Fill out a food drive form.
- Set a goal you think you can reach. Our most needed items include:
- Proteins like canned meat and fish
- Canned vegetables, fruit and soup
- Canned pasta sauce
- Breakfast items including cereal
- 100% fruit juice
- Paper and personal products like toothpaste, soap and toilet paper
- Communicate and promote your food drive with your team. We recommend downloading our Food Drive Tool Kit for tips. We’ve also created a printable flyer that will help your food drive succeed.
Drop Off Your Donations
You may drop off donations at our Des Moines distribution center, 2220 E. 17th St. When you arrive, follow the signs to our donation drop-off area on the south side of the building.
We accept donation drop-offs 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 8 a.m.–noon on Fridays.
Questions about Hosting a Food Drive?
For traditional food drives, contact Senior Volunteer Training and Development Manager Michaela Devaney Lowe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-867-2886.
For virtual food drives, contact Marketing and Events Manager Emma Runde by email or 515-867-2881.